- Expiry date: 09:00, 21 February 2020
- Location: South Kensington
- Salary: £22,627.00 - £26,341.00 Per Annum
- Benefits: Group Personal Pension, Life Assurance Scheme, and other great benefits
- Duration: 5 years
- Attachments: ACKoreaJD_Final_Jan2020v2.pdf
As members of a curatorial team, Assistant Curators will develop professional knowledge and expertise to provide curatorial support to the Museum’s Collections Departments and to Museum projects, liaising with various departments across the organisation, including Learning, the Registrar’s department, Conservation; Technical Services; Photography Services; and Documentation and Collections Management Services. Assistant Curators spend time working on object-related activity and maintaining documentation which is relevant and integral to the Museum’s collections management policy. All Assistant Curators deal with enquiries from the public - written, by telephone and in person – and a strong commitment to public access is required.
The range of tasks undertaken by Assistant Curators varies considerably and this provides the opportunity to develop a broad range of curatorial skills at the V&A working with colleagues across the Museum.
- Assisting with all aspects of the care of objects for the purposes of collection management and in support of the museum’s public programme. This includes object handling, inspection, marking and location moves. This involves liaising and working with technical staff, and requires lifting, carrying and installation of objects.
- Assisting with the interpretation of the collections, e.g. enhancing online catalogue records, giving gallery talks and tours and facilitating group visits. Assisting with the preparation of publications both in print media and online.
- Assisting with the development of displays, events and other aspects of the public programme.
- Developing specialist knowledge of a relevant area of the collection.
- Preparing and maintaining documentation, in both paper and electronic forms, contributing to online resources and taking part in regular audit and spot checks.
- Checking galleries and stores, including environmental monitoring and organising relevant maintenance.
- Maintaining photography/digitisation programmes. This will involve liaising with photographers and moving objects.
- Responding to public enquiries; providing access to material in reference collections and study rooms; supervising visitors and facilitating monthly Opinions afternoons.
- Assisting with the administration, co-ordination and documentation of long- and short-term loans, into and out from the Museum.
- Acting as a courier for the loan of objects in the UK and overseas.
- Education up to at least degree-level, preferably in an area relevant to the job (qualifications must have been confirmed and awarded at the time of the application) or equivalent experience.
- A demonstrable knowledge and interest in the art, craft and design of Korea.
- Commitment, enthusiasm and responsiveness to opening up the collections to a broad audience, including non-traditional users.
- Experience of work in a museum, gallery or closely related organisation, on a professional or voluntary basis. Demonstrable commitment to the museum sector.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 21st February at 9am.
For more information please visit V&A's website HERE.